Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 1999 00:11:40 +0100
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: filemarks?

As Matthew Jacob wrote:

> Yet another reason why 1FM@EOT should be the default.

Yep

> Unfortunately, we have too many ill-informed or fanciful or contrary
> users to allow this (I tried to get this as a default for 4.0).

That's like Poul-Hennings bike shed problem...  It's probably better
to make no noise about it and just change it in a ``mumble, mumble,
improve the sa(4) driver a little'' commit than asking publically
before. ;-)  I bet nobody would even notice the change if it
happened...  (In particular, i think the driver could simulate 2 FM's
once it noticed the EOM signal from the drive.)

> It seems to me that rather than proliferating compiled in quirks, we
> should work on the magical table that can be parsed at boot time.

I'm in favour of any hac^H^H^Hsolution that works. :)

> Yes- you should check the latest driver out, Joerg.

*blush*  I've built a release yesterday, but the /usr/src of my
machine's already about 2 months old now, right...  It probably won't
be updated before year 2000 since i'm going to leave for Russia next
week, visiting my girlfriend there.

> It does a test read at mount time. And I have people yelling it me
> because of the time it takes.

They simply didn't understand that this time will always be taken,
either at the time the first mt(1) command is issued, or by the time
of the first actual read/write operation...

> Can't please anyone.... a driver writer's lot is so hard

Ah well, you're robust enough to bear it. ;-)

--
cheers, J"org