Date:      Sat, 26 Nov 2005 11:16:17 +0100
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        "Guillaume R." <raimondeau@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some questions about ports system

--mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+

On Sat, Nov 26, 2005 at 10:29:07AM +0100, Guillaume R. wrote:
> Hi
> At the end of a portsclean -LPPDDC I got this:
> ** Clean out /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg manually on occasions.
> ** Try using libchk(1) (sysutils/libchk) to find out unreferenced librari=
es.
> I'm asking thus some questions, the one is how could I clean manually
> the /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg directory=20

The directory /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg is where portsclean puts old and
orphaned libraries. If the libraries are no longer used, you can remove the=
m.

> and the second is about the
> nature of libchk. I got no man page on this soft and it doesn't seem
> to be installed on my box.=20

It's in the ports system. /usr/ports/sysutils/libchk

> Before running it I wish to know what is it? Could someone explain me
> what this software is and figure out is utility for a system?

Read /usr/ports/sysutils/libchk/pkg-descr

> Finally I got a question about pkgdb, when I run it with the F options
> I often have questions to which I have to answer thx to yes or no. I
> never know what I must choose. I read the man page of pkgdb but it's
> not clear in my mind could someone explain me how this soft works?

Basically, what it does when it finds a missing or outdated dependancy,
is search for packages that have a name that looks like the dependancy
it's looking for. It then asks you if you think it's guess is correct.

Try 'pkgdb -aF' that will fix anything that can be fixed securely, and
leaves the rest.

Roland
--=20
R.F.Smith (http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/) Please send e-mail as plain text.