Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 1995 00:34:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ACER Motherboard: SCSI Recommendations?

Hi...

	I'm just about to get what I've been told will be an ACER
486DX4-100 Motherboard (PCI), and am interested in getting a PCI
SCSI controller to go with it.

	I'm planning on running *-stable on it, since its going to be
more a production machine thena  toy (my 386 is the toy, with *-current)

	Now, a friend of mine talked about the NCR PCI controllers
that are relatively cheap (~$100), but he mentioned that they work
particularly good on an ASUS motherboard...

	Does anyone here have any experience with the ACER Motherboards?
Do they have onboard SCSI?  Any recommendations on which controller to
go for that should/will work in this motherboard?

	And yes, I've checked the "Supported Hardware" listing, but as
most, if not all, of you know...what is supported by the Operating
System and what is supported by the hardware, dont' always match :)

	Oh...an afterthought, along the same lines...any recommendations
on Ethernet cards for similar system?  Preferably PCI, 100MBs isn't a
necessity, unless the cost is reasonable (on a budget here, for now *sigh*)

	The main thing is stuff that I'm not going to have headaches
with under the *-stable tree...I'm trying to prove to someone that
FreeBSD is a viable alternative to "those commercial OSs", and its
a hard sell :(

Thanks...

scrappy@hub.org  |  WWW Services   Database Services  | Knowledge,
 soon to be:     |                                    | Information and
scrappy@ki.net   |      WWW: http://hub.org           | Communications, Inc