Date:      Tue, 28 May 1996 12:27:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Dennis <jimd@mistery.mcafee.com>
To:        zgabor@CoDe.hu (Gabor Zahemszky)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, root@netpc.com
Subject:   Re: BBS's and Menu System

> > does anyone know of any good menu systems for use in shell accounts?
> 1)  You can use the (pd)ksh's and bash's select command to generate simple
> menus, or

> 2)  Get the dialog utility (or write your own command with libdialog - as
> the sysinstall command)
> and make little shell scripts to generate a menu.

	In the ports collection there is an 'mshell-1.0' (apparently
	developed by NYX).  It appears to be a menuing system designed
	to be used as a shell.

	It is also possible to compile 'Lynx' with local execution
	enabled.  You can then create html pages that provide a
	very flexible menuing interface.

	Personally I'd look at the latter option for several reasons:

	*	You probably already know how to write HTML.  Lynx
		local execution links are just a URL of the form:

			<A href="lynxprog:/usr/bin/foo">
		Run The Foo Program (from the /usr/bin dir)</A>

		('lynxprog' is for interactive programs, 'lynxexec'
		is for non-interactive program (like 'ls') and
		'lynxcgi' is an unusual one that allows local execution
		of cgi scripts -- which I don't completely understand
		I just execute normal CGI through the httpd on the
		localhost)

	*	You can integrate your menus with their own documentation.

	*	You can integrate your menus and documentation with
		your internal webserver (if you have one) and with
		the world-wide-web itself.

	*	There's built in, full screen, menu oriented ftp
		(including non-anonymous using links like:
		 "ftp://user@ftp.host.org/path")

	*   It's quick.

	* 	You can create forms and tie them into your CGI scripts
		(for things like account and alias requests)

    *	You can use the "DirEd" features to allow users to access
		a variety of file management functions with through the
		same menu interface (using URL's like: "file://localhost/~")

	*	You can allow your more advanced users to edit their own
	 	menu and other files.  This may be particularly handy
		if they have a ~/public_html directory to maintain.

	*	There are a number of restrictions that can be specified
		on the command line (and can be used to provide some minor
		security limits on some users).

	* 	I suspect that you could statically link it, and your
		other "approved" binaries and run the whole shebang in a
		chroot'd environment.

	Another option would be 'Midnight Commander' which has
	extensive custom menuing capabilities in addition to its
	elegant (ncurses/color) full-screen file management interface.

Jim Dennis,
System Administrator,
McAfee Associates