Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 17:39:25 -0700
From:      "Gravel, Emmanuel (AZ77)" <Emmanuel.Gravel@CAS.honeywell.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Blank screen using XFree

Each time I've tried to start X, I get a blank screen.  Black.  Nothing.
Not
even a crosshatch pattern and mouse pointer.  I had used XFree86 previously
but under RH5, on the same machine using the same configuration options
(except for the mouse, since I'm running the mouse daemon on FreeBSD).
I have a three year old ATI Mach64 with 2 MB VRAM onboard, so I've been
using the generic Mach64 server.  The version of XFree86 that ran before
is almost a year old now, and the one I have with FreeBSD 2.2.7 is the
latest (I don't know if there are any patches that should be applied, but
I just purchased 2.2.7).  I'm unaware of any inherent differences that may
exist between the Linux and FreeBSD versions of XFree86 (except of
course for the fact that they're compiled for different platforms), nor
how that would affect anything to give the problem I've been experiencing.

I still haven't been able to identify the exact source of the problem.
I know, however, that the server must be running, since it hasn't been
giving me any kind of error message (mind you I haven't checked /var/logs/
messages either).  But when attempting to run XF86Setup (which runs
without a problem), at the time it starts the server, with the Mach64
server I get a black screen, and with the SVGA server (mind you, I
was trying to run it at 1024x768 and 16bpp) I get an error message
stating that the server cannot be started.  All I have from it is no
reaction at all.

If anyone has any clues to what may be causing this reaction, it
would definetely help me quite a bit.  Everything else seems to run
fine for the limited amount of things I've tried.

BTW, this is on a fairly generic X-User installation (just added docs
and man pages, mostly, plus compatibilty with older FBSD binaries).

Thanks,

Manu