Date:      Wed, 21 Oct 1998 15:28:56 +0200
From:      Rasmus Kaj <kaj@interbizz.se>
To:        inge1questions@hotmail.com
Cc:        kaj@interbizz.se
Subject:   Re: I got the port of JDK 1.1.5 and it compiles and works but I don't understand.

 EI> I got the port of JDK 1.1.5 from the FreeBSD site. And it
 EI> compiled, though I do not have motif.
 EI>     Secondly, when I ran an AWT based application. The frame
 EI> showed up when using fvwm.
 EI>     I thought it would not work with out Motif. Am not
 EI> understanding something?

The JDK on the FreeBSD site is statically linked with Motif. You
probably didn't compile it, since the FreeBSD java team (of which I am
not part) don't provide any source, since they had to sign a
non-disclosure with sun to get the source themselves.

If you were to actually compile JDK yourself, you'd need the Motif
libraries and headers, and you'd need to sign Sun's non-disclosure
agreement.

If you just like to run or develop java apps, you only need the binary
JDK distribution, which, I take it, you have.

// Rasmus Kaj

--
kaj@cityonline.se --------------- Rasmus Kaj - http://www.e.kth.se/~kaj/
 \               CityOnLine IB Production AB - http://www.CityOnLine.se/