Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 2000 23:25:47 +0200 (SAST)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        danh@gelatinous.com (Dan Holliman), cliff@raggedclown.net (Cliff Sarginson)
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Booting 4.2

Dan Holliman wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 10, 2000 at 08:15:18AM +0100, Cliff Sarginson wrote:

> > I have installed 4.2 from CD.
> > Try as I might I could not install it as bootable.
> > I tried various permutations of installation.
> > I dedicated the whole hard disk of the PC I was trying
> > it on to BSD.
> > But I got zip when I booted.
> > So I installed a minimal linux installation,
> > then BSD and using Lilo, lo and behold it booted !
>
> I am no help but I had the exact same problem.
> I spent hours agonizing over boot blocks and experimenting
> with grub to try to get freebsd 4.2 to boot from the disk
> drive of a PC (I blamed my weird HP Vectra BIOS at the time),
> then I installed Linux just so I could use LILO, and
> I was able to boot into freebsd finally.

I'd be happy to work with anyone who is having problems with the i386
bootstraps.  You'll both have to go into more detail, though, before
this kind of report is actually useful.  (All I can gather, for now,
is that nothing you tried worked, except LILO....)

--
Robert Nordier

rnordier@nordier.com
rnordier@FreeBSD.org