Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2000 12:31:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Essenz Consulting <john@essenz.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Intel 840 Chipset Discontinue

I was told by several of my distributors that all motherboards based off
of the Intel 840 chipset are being discontinued. That means the Supermicro
PIIDM3 and PIIIDME, and any other 840 board.

Supermicro has two new boards, 370DL3 and 370DLE. Identical in specs to
the 840 boards, but using some kind of "ServerWork LE" chipset. However, I
have also been hearing bad news about these boards as well.

Has anyone worked with these boards? Supermicro SAYS that they work fine
under Linux and Solaris. However, one of my distributors says thay they
are extremely touchy when it comes to memory. Only Registered PC133 ECC
memory will work.

If someone at freebsd.org wants to seriously test these boards, let me
know, and I'll donate one. Without the 840 boards, server configs are now
back to the 440GX days!

-john v.e.