Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 2000 17:03:58 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: proposal of a better solution for "statclock broken" laptops

> > Ahh, it was *you* that proposed the fix, and later assigned it to Bruce.
> > Can you tell me what is different about the fix you posted in your PR
> > vs. this one?
>
> They deal with different problems. The statclock did not start on my
> Dell I3.7k because of a pending interrupt being not cleared at startup.
> The patch included in PR 17800 fixes this problem.

Ok, so even if it starts up, it doesn't work right if you suspend,
correct?

> The "broken statclock" is a different problem, related to APM: some
> machines cannot be put in suspended state while the statclock is generating
> interrupts.

I am very familiar with the problem, having had the luck of tracking it
down about 2 years ago. :(

I thought maybe you found a special initialization routine that caused
it work without any special 'suspend/resume' code.

> > Finally, not having the statclock is *really* not that big of a deal.
> > It makes for better heuristics in the scheduler, but in fact makes very
> > little difference in most machines as far as performance goes.
>
> True, we can live without the statclock, but if there is some way
> to keep it working... (actually, the statclock problem is one of my
> obsessions since I got my I3.7k in January) :-) :-)

*grin*

Nate