Date:      Sun, 14 Oct 2001 18:15:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      <doug@safeport.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSup is overkill for me

This seems pretty throughly covered. But some things spur me to make a few
comments. For what it does I find cvsup pretty easy to use. I found the relation
between the ports tree and various O/S versions harder to get hold of.

1) On the base topic:
     After getting a working cvsup file going it is not very complex. Conversely
     I find trying to to figure out how to upgrade the Win9[58] systems I have
     to be much harder unless I want to say "I trusted you MS do what you willst
     to my system." I guess it is redundant to say I am dis-inclined to do that
     :)

2) What track to follow:
     If you are learning and do not want to get bitten by a occasional STABLE
     snafu, use the tag RELENG_4_4 (See handbook A.7). This has only security
     and critical fixes in it. From my perspective CURRENT is only for the
     developer/experts and the warning on STABLE is overly cautious. Even with
     that I have a test system that I upgrade first and then used the 'date' tag
     to replicate that level to the production systems.

3) Unix documentation:
     Hard to read but worth the effort. To learn a corresponding level about M$
     stuff would take about as much time. I find unless I want to trusted by
     systems to the kindly folks at MS about as much research and reading is
     required to figure out what maintenance needs to be applied.

     Some time ago my the browse function on my win9[58] machines just stopped
     working. Not much help to be had on that question. Contrast that with the
     information available on 4.4 PCCARD (a burning issue for those of us with
     old DEL LM laptops :)

     The handbook at FreeBSD.org gets better and better. Also save as much of
     question and stable as you have disk space for. I save the last 35K (or so
     messages) and have access to a archive going back to Oct '99 or I would
     save more.

     The tradeoff is control for ease of configuration. Frankly I likely the
     balance with win95 much better than win98 and even less as MS moves on. I
     will try to figure out wine/vmware before I go past that other than to have
     a system to be able to answer customer questions with.

_____
Douglas Denault
doug@safeport.com
Voice: 301-469-8766