Date:      Fri, 5 Dec 2003 13:52:51 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>
To:        Ray Seals <rseals@vdsi.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: xmms will only play 1 mp3 and then stop

At Fri, 5 Dec 2003 it looks like Ray Seals composed:

> xmms will only play one MP3 and then will not play another one.  The new
> song will display the title but won't play.  If I click the play button
> it just blinks the display and show 00:00.  This is the case with
> selected mp3's from a directory or a play list.  The only way to play
> another mp3 is to exit out of X and restart X.
>
> I believe this may be a problem with KDE but don't know what additional
> information one would need to start diagnosing the problem.

I recall playing my mp3's from command line, I had a directory
full of mp3's, I took all the filenames and mput them in a
file called "playlist.lst" in the directory then ran the
following script I called "go"

--------------snip----------------
#!/bin/sh
#
mpg123 -v -v -Z -@ playlist.lst
--------------snip----------------

If I remember correctly I used one of the standard sound control
gui's to control the volume.

It's been a while.

I also used the "curl" program too, did a stupid little script
that killed artsd then went on to play the music in the current
directory.

Now, artsd was a problem for me at the time I was using this
script so it was the only thing that worked for me, YMMV. :)

--------------snip----------------
#!/bin/sh
#
echo
echo "Killing the damm \"artsd\" program first ....."
echo
for i in `ps -uwax|grep artsd|grep -v grep|awk '{print $2}'`; do kill -9 $i; done
wait
echo "Well, that's done, now lets start up the music for you ....."
echo
/usr/local/bin/curl -s $1 | /usr/local/bin/mpg123 -