Date:      Mon, 30 Aug 1999 16:12:01 +0200
From:      "nunnari" <roberto.nunnari@agie.ch>
To:        questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   pc as a x-terminal

Hi all,

I have to 486 PCs on a small ethernet and soon I'll add
a AMD K6-2. The two 486 have nice enough video cards and
enough memory (8-20 Mb) to run X but not enough HD space
(40-170 Mb) to fully install FreeBSD and XFree86.

My goal is to have three machines that run X application
on top of FreeBSD OS.

I wonder whether it sounds sensible to set up things so
that the K6-2 will be a server and the two 486 a kind of
x-terminal. That way I would need I small bootstrap image
on the 486 PCs that (using bootp/dhcp/rarp and tftp) retrives
all the configuration parameters and the system image from
the server. Does something similar is already included in
FreeBSD? Then using NFS I could mount the filesystem.

NFS should do the job as well without the bootstrap image...
That way I only should install FreeBSD locally on the 486,
NFSmount the X filesystem, and then run startx over NFS???

What sounds more sensible?

Any hints/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Please, also answer to my mail-box.

Best regards.
--
              Roberto Nunnari -software engineer-