Date:      Thu, 23 Aug 2001 14:52:29 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Bryan-TheBS-Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org>
Cc:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>, Aaron <click46@webpimps.net>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: looking for ia32 system that supports > 4GB memory and has 64 bit PCI

On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 16:43:51 -0400, Bryan-TheBS-Smith wrote:
> "Kenneth D. Merry" wrote:
> > You can get 8GB of memory for it for $1670.24 (16 512MB DIMMs)
> > from www.crucial.com (Micron memory, not cheap-o stuff).
>
> Did you verify the mainboard against the memory at Crucial?
> The ServerSet _requires_ registered ECC.

Yes, I went through their little select-your-system interface.  That's
PC100, ECC, registered, CL2 memory, $104.39 per 512MB DIMM.

PC133 (CL3, though) is the same price.

> > Even though that motherboard only needs PC100 memory, I would
> > probably get PC133 memory instead since you'd be able to use
> > it in more systems if you don't leave it all in there.
>
> Not really.  First off, the ServerWorks uses 100MHz for 100MHz FSB
> CPUs, 133MHz for 133MHz FSB CPUs.  No async option.

Yes, but you can run PC133 memory just fine at 100MHz.  The whole point is
that he can use the memory in a system that requires registered PC100 or
PC133 memory if he gets PC133 memory.  You don't have that option if you
only get PC100 memory.

> Secondly, the i810/815s don't work with registered nor ECC SDRAM.
> Some ViA chipsets might take issue with the registered as well.

That's fine, there are plenty of other systems that can use registered ECC
memory.  What's your point here, anyway?

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org