Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 2002 12:16:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brian Eagan <brian_eagan@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   freebsd bridge+ipfw problem

Hello,
	I'm attempting to install a freebsd bridge/ipfw box
in-line
between an sdsl line and a small switched
ethernet lan.

I've come across a very odd problem it seems:

all network traffic seems to go through fine (i have
the firewall to
open while setting everything up), for example
I can ssh to one of the freebsd boxes on the lan and
then ssh to the
lan-side interface (which has an IP on it)
on the bridge box just fine.

The problem comes in when I try out my neato web
server from outside the
lan (inside it's ok!). I can, for
example, telnet to www:80 and type my GET / HTTP1.1
<return>
and watch it come up in my access logs via apache,
however the webserver
never returns anything to the telnet window (ie the
html file)

Like I said, if I'm on Box 2 in the lan and do a lynx
or telnet www 80,
i get the expected HTML just fine.

In the course of testing i've tried:
-disabling http keep-alives  (grasping here)
-re-doing my cabling such that the ethernet from the
sdsl box is
directly on my http server, in which case it
works fine
-Putting  options IPSTEALTH in the bridge kernel
(wanted to anyway)
-restarting the webserver (apache 1.3.newest)

my applicable kernel options on the bridge:
options IPFIREWALL
options IPDIVERT
options DUMMYNET
options IPFIREWALL_FORWARD      #enable transparent
proxy support
options         IPSTEALTH               #support
forstealthforwarding

options BRIDGE

I'm running 4.5-Release

Am I missing something obvious? I hope so! :)
If you have any suggestions or ideas please let me
know

Thank you all,
Brian Eagan
brian@kidfu.com