Date:      Mon, 26 Oct 1998 09:33:21 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Dan Swartzendruber <dswartz@druber.com>, "Stephen J. Roznowski" <sjr@home.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: 3.0 installation problems

> > If the machine is "stripped down", then you sure don't want Emacs on it.
> > Try one of the lighter clones, and save yourself the worry.
>
> Nonsense.  If you want Emacs, you want Emacs, not some poor imitation.

Actuall, uemacs is a pretty good 'clone' of emacs, and doesn't take 16MB
of memory to run well. :)

I remember when EMACS stood for 'Eight Megabytes And Constantly
Swapping', but it now stands for 'Eighteen Megabytes And Constantly
Swapping', and will soon stand for 'Eighty Megabytes And Constantly
Swapping.'

( For the humor impaired, this is sarcasm.  I happen to use XEmacs as my
primary editor on my workstation, but I also don't even bother trying to
install it on my low-end box which is a slow 486 with very little
memory, where I've installed uemacs.)

> This has nothing to do with whether the machine is ``stripped down''
> or not.

Sure it does.  Emacs doesn't a relatively *LONG* time to come up, while
I can edit a file and be done with it using uemacs in about the same
time I finally get emacs to get the file open and displayed on my
screen. :(

Nate