Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 2002 02:38:50 +0200
From:      Steve Mazerski <smazerski@yahoo.co.jp>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   A: How big /var ? Or: too small for the xemacs package?

Me again.. Just had a call from the RTFM daemon:

> To answer my own questions...
>
> I moved /var to a larger partition (see
> http://www.freebsddiary.org/file-system-full.php for a HOW-TO)
>
> > Questions:
> > - I presume pkg_add puts temporary files in /var. Is this normal /
> > sensible?
>
> pkg_add uses /var/tmp. (any reason why not /tmp?).

The manpage says:
=2E..
     The environment variables PKG_TMPDIR and TMPDIR, in that order, are =
taken
     to name temporary directories where pkg_add will attempt to create i=
ts
     staging area in.  If these variables are not present or if the direc=
to-
     ries named lack sufficient space, then pkg_add will use the first of
     /var/tmp, /tmp or /usr/tmp with sufficient space.
=2E..

> > - what would be a reasonable ball park figure for /var?
>
> On a desktop system a good couple of hundred MB? Even then it might
> be prudent to symlink /var/tmp to a larger partion when installing
> bloatware ;-)

Or do this (again from the man page):
=2E..
     -t template
             Use template as the input to mktemp(3) when creating a ``sta=
ging
             area''.  By default, this is the string /var/tmp/instmp.XXXX=
XX,
             but it may be necessary to override it in the situation wher=
             space in your /var/tmp directory is limited.  Be sure to lea=
ve
             some number of `X' characters for mktemp(3) to fill in with =
             unique ID.

             You can get a performance boost by setting the staging area
             template to reside on the same disk partition as target dire=
cto-
             ries for package file installation; often this is /usr.
=2E..

Enlightend

S.Mazerski