Date:      Fri, 12 Jan 2001 14:55:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      Ken Seggerman <suleyman@echonyc.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   second hard drive fails (to boot)

Greetings:

I had several OS's, (Windows NT, FreeBSD 4.2, and NetBSD 4.?) on a
computer with two Western Digital hard drives in a multiple-boot situation
managed by System Commander.

The second drive contained the FreeBSD partition and it no longer boots.
It starts to boot normally then informs me of a HARD DRIVE READ ERROR and
cannot mount the root file system.

I think the drive is spinning, but has bad sectors. I am not sure. It
shows up as a fraction of its real size in System Commander, and as non
existent when I try to fdsk it from NetBSD.

How do I tell if I should throw out the hard drive and replace it, or try
to repartition?

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks,

Ken Seggerman