Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 2002 11:51:52 +1000
From:      f3z <f3z@iprimus.com.au>
To:        Steven Lake <raiden@shell.core.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Longest possible DNS name??

Hi,

If my memory serves me correctly, the maximum name as specified in the
appropriate RFC is 64 characters. I have also seen code in apps which
trauncate/complain about domains longer than 64 characters.  I would suggest
you search the RFC's for the bind spec if you want something to show your
boss that that is the standard.

(Thats not to say that many apps can handle longer domain names, but I would
limit to 64 for compatibility, I would quote the specific RFC but its on my
home computer not work).

Regards,
Jacob Rhoden