Date:      Wed, 19 May 2004 12:17:26 -0700
From:      Russell Adams <russ@500records.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:    arp: <some ether addr> is using my IP address <some IP addr> again.

Hello,

I have seen this question posted twice to the list each without any response.
Does anybody out there know if this is possible, a Yes or No, will do if you
can't offer anything else. If it is possible then how do we get rid of the
Arp/IP conflict problem.

This is what I want to do:

A transparent bridge with no IPs (2 NICs)
A 3rd NIC to access the box via SSH for monitoring and configuration.

this is what I have done.

xl0 and xl1 set up as a transparent bridge, no ips
rl0 set up as 192.168.30.254 on the LAN
Bridge is inbetween 192.168.30.1 (ROUTER to Internet) and 5500 Cisco Switch.

I log in via SSH to configure the bridge via rl0, so far so good. I plug in the
bridge between the router and the switch via xl0 and xl1, the bridge begins to
pass packets perfectly. BUT now rl0 is not reachable via anything, no even a
ping. Login into the console for investigation I find this message:

FreeBSD Kernel: Arp: 00:00:00:00:00 is using my IP address 192.168.30.254
FreeBSD Kernel: Arp: 11:11:11:11:11 is using my IP address 192.168.30.254

The 00 and 11 MACs address representing the MAC for the 2 NICs that are part of
the bridge. 192.168.30.254 was the previously working admin interface accepting
conections via SSH.

Below is are 2 unanswered posts that are  asking the same thing but both are
regarding 4.8, I am using 5.2.1

http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-net/2003-June/000586.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-net/2003-December/002109.html

Thanks,