Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 2002 21:32:00 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosehn <drosehn@rpi.edu>
To:        Bruce A Mah <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/44070: Minor corrections to release notes for 4.7

Bruce Mah wrote:
> If memory serves me right, Garance A Drosehn wrote:
> >       The release notes at:
> >           http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/4.7R/relnotes-i386.html
> >       and http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/4.7R/relnotes-alpha.html
> >       imply that 'xargs -J' is depreciated.  This is not true.  It
> >       does not do the same thing as -I, and therefore it is still
> >       very useful.  It is a freebsd-only option (at least for now),
> >       but it is not depreciated.
>
> See for example the commit message for revision 1.16 of src/usr.sbin/
> xargs/xargs.1.  I interpeted that to mean "xargs -J is deprecated".

Yeah, I remember the commit message going by, and at the time I sent a
message off to jmallet pointing out that -J should *not* be
depreciated.  Also note that the man page was never changed to say -J
was depreciated, Juli only made that comment as part of the commit
entry.  I probably sent that as a private message exchange at the time.

I didn't occur to me that someone else would pick up on that comment and
assume that -J was officially on track to be depreciated.  The -J option
is a very useful option which I've always wished for when I am on other
platforms, and I was pretty excited when it was added to freebsd.  I
want to see the other OS's adopt it, instead of us getting rid of it!

> >     Also, the release notes do not mention some improvements
> >     to the 'lpc' command.
>
> At the time, it wasn't clear to me how significant these changes were.
> I'm happy to be corrected, but this is why I like to get heads-up
> messages (or text or direct commits) from developers regarding changes
> they consider to be important.

To be honest, I suspect that few people will find those options as
attractive as I do.  I would not have even mentioned them except that I
definitely wanted to say something about xargs, so I also added lpc as
long as I was writing a PR.

> If you want, I can figure out something to add to -CURRENT's release
> notes.  Is this important enough to also warrant an entry in the 4.7
> errata?

It would be nice enough to add a short blurb to -current wrt the new lpc
options.  They certainly are not important enough to deserve a special
errata entry for 4.7.

I do think it would be good to have an errata item on xargs, lest people
think they have to start avoiding -J.  Probably should check with
jmallet just to make sure we're all still on the same wavelength on that.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn     =      gad@gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad@FreeBSD.org