Date:      Sat, 25 Aug 2001 18:43:43 +0900
From:      Fuyuhiko Maruyama <fuyuhik8@is.titech.ac.jp>
To:        Mikhail Kruk <meshko@cs.brandeis.edu>
Cc:        Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>, java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jdk1.3.1 awt exception, plugin, OpenJIT

At Sat, 25 Aug 2001 13:07:22 +0930,
Greg Lewis wrote:
> There is a known problem using XIM in some circumstances.  Do you have
> any non-english language enabled?  There is a known problem with the
> patches and XIM and Japanese.
I think Mikhail's problem isn't the same problem as I met, but now I
can reproduce the problem Mikhail met (java.awt.AWTException: cannot
open XIM), so I will try to fix it as soon as possible.

> On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 11:18:29PM -0400, Mikhail Kruk wrote:
> > The question I forgot to ask in prev. message was about OpenJIT...
> > is it supposed to work with jdk1.3.1? For some reason it says that OpenJIT
> > is not found ajd jdk1.1.8 when started in the same environment seems to
> > use it.
I'm also a developer of OpenJIT, so I have a question about this.
Do you have OpenJIT compiled against jdk1.3.1?  The problem may be
because you set the environment variable JAVA_COMPILER=OpenJIT
but there is not OpenJIT for jdk1.3.1.

In fact, I haven't try OpenJIT with jdk1.3.1 on FreeBSD yet.  It is
known to work with jdk1.3.x in Solaris and Linux, once you have
OpenJIT compiled against jdk1.3.1, it will work for FreeBSD's jdk1.3.1
as well.  To do so, it may need some patch for OpenJIT to fix the path
problem: the name of directory includes JDK's system dependent header
files are changed from jdk1.2.2-patchset10 days, it is used to
{include,include-old}/freebsd, but now it is
{include,include-old}/bsd.

Making symbolic link
/usr/local/jdk1.3.1/include/freebsd->/usr/local/jdk1.3.1/include/bsd
and
/usr/local/jdk1.3.1/include-old/freebsd->/usr/local/jdk1.3.1/include-old/bsd
may also fix the problem.

By the way, I'm implementing OpenJIT2, the brandnew OpenJIT designed from
scratch and the work is stopping because I'm now working to port J2SDK
1.3.1 for *BSD.  Which is more important do you think?  To complete
OpenJIT2? or to port J2SDK 1.3.1 first?

;-)

--
Fuyuhiko MARUYAMA <fuyuhik8@is.titech.ac.jp>