Date:      Sat, 1 Aug 1998 10:49:46 +0100
From:      "David W. Curry" <david@magickalhome.com>
To:        <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Please help with natd!!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Langille <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc: David W. Curry <david@magickalhome.com>
Date: Saturday, August 01, 1998 8:16 AM

On 31 Jul 98, at 22:37, David W. Curry wrote:

> Thanks for the response.  Your explanation helped a little on my
> understanding of natd.  However, I don't understand how to set up the
> divert option.

In my webpages, there should be a reference to
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?natd, but there wasn't.  I've since
added it to the website.  Have a look at that to see how to set this up.

Does that make sense?

> Also, I can only assume that the interface device I am
> suppose to use is tun0 (or is it ed0)

edo is the outside world, for an ethernet card (NE2000) or similar.

>  Also, I am guessing my clients are
> suppose to be setup up through a proxy with the port I choose for the
> divert option.

I didn't have to do anything to the other machines on my subnet except
make my freebsd box their default gateway.

>  But is host suppose to be my bsd box's ip address?

I don't know what you mean.

Your freebsd box should have two network cards.  ed0 is to your ISP and
is the IP number assigned to you by them.  ed1 is connected to your subnet
and determined by you.  All of your machines will refer to the IP assigned
to ed1
and use that as their gateway.

Does this make sense?

It makes sense accept I connect to my ISP dynamically via ppp.

--
Dan Langille
DVL Software Limited