Date:      Thu, 7 Jun 2001 23:08:54 +0800
From:      James Lim <evilfry@sg.freebsd.org>
To:        Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pcm0 and sbc0 in /dev ??

Hi there,

=09Have u disbaled the sbc device in ur kernel and thus enabling only=20
device pcm?
If you have done so, ( and proven the proper devices are loaded by=20
cat /dev/sndstat ) all u need to do is to MAKEDEV snd0 ( no verbose=20
output wil be shown prior to this ) try installing mpg123 or wavplay=20
in ports/audio and try to play a simple audio file.

On the last episode Thursday 07 June 2001 23:04, Bill Schoolcraft=20
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to understand the errors I get now. I've recompile now
> with "only" the line:
>
> device pcm
>
> And of course I see the output of "cat /dev/sndstat" showing:
>
> [root@LC-BSD-corten3 /dev]--> cat /dev/sndstat
> FreeBSD AudioDriver (newpcm) May 17 2001 08:56:32
> Installed devices:
> pcm0: <SB DSP 4.16 (ViBRA16X)> at io 0x220 irq 5 drq 1:3 (1p/1r
> channels duplex)
>
> and my dmesg shows
>
> sbc0: <Creative ViBRA16X> at port
> 0x220-0x22f,0x330-0x331,0x388-0x38b irq 5 drq 1,3 on isa0
>
> So I would like to know if doing "cd /dev ; ./MAKEDEV snd0"
> and watching it complete with no errors creates or links the above
> mentioned pcm0 and sbc0 to something ?
>
> I would like to cat an audio file to the device or something just
> to hear a "pop" or something.
>
> RealPlayer tells me " ! Cannot open audio device, another
> application may be using it."
>
> I have gone through the output of dmesg and nothing else is
> sharing or using irq5 except sbc0 as mentioned above.

--=20
Regards,
James Lim
http://sg.freebsd.org | http://www.bsd-geeks.org