Date:      Sun, 22 Jun 2003 22:19:28 +0300
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Setup of a software RAID-1 to an existing system?

Hi all!

I am pretty new to FreeBSD but thought it might be a nice idea to
migrate from a Linux server to a FreeBSD one.

My question is regarding software RAID-1 for this FreeBSD box. I have
two IDE equally sized hard drives and I installed FreeBSD 4.8 on the
other one. Now the question is: can I make a RAID-1 array of these two
disks while FreeBSD is installed on the other one (using vinum or
other...)? Or how do I get RAID-1 to work on these two disks?

I've read some of the vinum documentation but it is unclear to me if it
is possible to set up a RAID-1 on a running disk system - and if my
assumptions are correct, that it is impossible, it is unclear to me how
to set up this RAID-1?

Regards,

Johan Paul