Date:      Sun, 8 Jun 1997 11:10:00 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, michaelv@MindBender.serv.net, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Exchange vs. Notes

Joel Ray Holveck stands accused of saying:

> > But Exchange is, and seeks to be, something other.  Microsoft have
> > made no bones about crushing any possible alternatives (you have
> > yourself alluded to this), yet refusing any chance of peer review.
>
> "We are Microsoft.  Unix is irrelevant.  Notes is irrelevant.
> Resistance is futilie.  You will be assimilated."

That's half of it.  The "peer review" gripe is just as significant though.

> > Please reread what I wrote.  In particular ISV != ISP.  The people
> > that pay most of my way develop unique data acquisition and control
> > software for a wide variety of research applications.  We work
> > wherever possible with "free" software, because bitter experience has
> > shown that the only support that you can truly count on is your own,
> > and to a considerable but somewhat lesser degree, that of other
> > concerned individuals.  The few "non-free" software components we work
> > with are continual thorns in our collective backside.
>
> So what's your view on BSD/I?

It has nothing to offer us that isn't available for less, with better
support, elsewhere.  OTOH, they aren't trying for solo domination of
any market, or prohibiting peer review (at least, I believe they still
sell source licenses), so I have no call to gripe about them.

> Out here in West Texas, trends such as this are difficult to see.  Do
> you really think that the telcos are going to be able to squelch all
> competition in this market?  Also, are you referring only to your
> dialup ISPs, or are you also talking about your larger ISPs, the ones
> that the small dialups connect to?  (Yes, I realize that this is
> largely Sprint, MCI, and other LD groups, but AlterNet and other
> groups still exist.)

Large organisations like major telcos take a long time to adapt to any
sort of change, but ultimately they are the ones with the capital, the
advertising bulk, and the infrastructure required to out-compete
everyone else.  Don't get me wrong, I don't _like_ the thought, I just
think it's inevitable.

That's not to say that there's no room for other net-related
organisations; there will always be content providers, value-added
support organsiations, etc., but the connect-user-to-net service
business is going to have to go to the companies that can do it on the
smallest unit margin...