Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2001 00:02:30 +0200
From:      Cynic <cynic@mail.cz>
To:        Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: config for POP3 mail

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I've heard fetchmail is very flexible, but I've also heard
it's pretty complicated. I'd like to try getmail if it can do what
I need.

IMAP isn't an option for me, that means Pine is out of question...
Unless I use something else to collect mail off the POP3 servers,
and use Pine on my local mailbox/maildir, I guess.

I'm looking for a solution that will:
1) collect my mail from several (actually, it's three) POP3 accounts
2) filter it upon retrieval
3) let me know that I have new mail (message sent to the console)

I understand that getmail can do 1 and 2 for me, and I can use pretty
much any MUA to read, etc. my mail. Since all of my mail is POP3-based,
I'll need something to send outgoing mail to my SMTP servers, right?
Like sendmail, right?

As for connection: both LAN (at work) and dialup (at home).

Thanks again.

------end of quote------

cynic@mail.cz