Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2000 11:03:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John <papalia@UDel.Edu>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Don't unplug that ... ::pfft::

> > How do those of you who work with a building full of microsoft and
> > graphite users prevent kind hearted souls (and cleaners) from turning
> > your machine off after you go home? Or at other times, for that matter.
> > They just don't realise how much damage it can do, and how much damage
> > it _won't_ do to leave it on. After the event they look at you with
> > tears streaming out of big eyes and say "I didn't know! I'm so stupid!"
> > but it's too late then, you've already maimed them.

At my last job, both the co-woker and cleaners issues were handled
easily... maybe it's because the employees knew if they pissed me off they
wouldn't get help very quickly though :)

To stop the cleaners, we had the operations manager inform the cleaning
service that they weren't to touch the computers, and if they did, they
were financially responsible for any down time.  That stopped them
*really* fast.

As for coworkers, it was a 'corporate memo' issued by IT and cc'ed to
operations and the owner of the company again saying that people were not
to be dinking with others computers and were not to be turning them off,
given that they were in no way capable of knowing what tasks the computer
might be performing, and that the computer they turn off might be
performing a task that is required overnight, and turning it off will only
result in the computer's main user going postal.

You can also try to impose "corporate IT policy" that desktops should not
be turned off at night at all.  Good luck getting that to fly. :)

Oh, and a post-it note over the power button saying "do not turn off -
tasks are running" helped too.

Sometimes direct information helps.  If you're in a position where you
don't have the power or authority, that's a problem, but you can find a
work-around?

Good luck.... there's always a way :)
--John