Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 2014 10:28:32 -0500
From:      Danny Schales <dan@LaTech.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   ZFS UNMAP performance

--lemxcvxrNrOE5PIuu3aevs6BM6GheFRhf

I'm seeing very slow performance with certain operations on a ZFS
filesystem built on ISCSI LUN's on a 10.0 system (new ISCSI
implementation).  The issue appears to be with BIO_DELETE operations.
Monitoring the system with gstat shows expected times for read and write
operations, but deletes are in the multiple hundreds of milliseconds
under normal operation.  Destroying a snapshot sends the times to
astronomical levels.  sysctl says the system is using UNMAP for deletes:

kern.cam.da.0.delete_method: UNMAP

I searched and found where Oracle issued a performance alert for Solaris
11.1 where ZFS using UNMAP was in use.  Here's a link to a blog
discussing it:

http://schalwad.blogspot.com/2013/12/solaris-111-zfs-write-performance.ht=
ml

Is FreeBSD also impacted?  If so, is there a fix or a workaround?

Thanks

Danny Schales