Date:      Tue, 25 Nov 1997 15:24:05 -0700 (MST)
From:      Charles Mott <cmott@srv.net>
To:        Niall Smart <njs3@doc.ic.ac.uk>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pthread_cond_timedwait returning wrong error?

On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, Niall Smart wrote:
> On Nov 25, 12:24pm, Charles Mott wrote:
> } Subject: Re: pthread_cond_timedwait returning wrong error?
> >
> > To me, having all the *_r reentrant functions is a big nuisance.
>
> Yeah, lets invent our own standard!  Or maybe we should just leave out
> threads altogether and stick with badly designed interfaces!
>
> Niall

I quess I was referring to the *_r functions on Solaris that I don't see
anywhere else.  Are these standard?  I think having the standard Unix
function calls with hidden thread addaptations like the errno solution
(mapping errno to a function) explained by Alex Nash seems like a good
idea to me.

What I have observed from Solaris, FreeBSD, Linux and OSF is that there
doesn't seem to be any standard that is obvious to me.  Even OSF 3.2 and
4.0 are different from each other.  This is a major source of annoyance if
one is trying to develop software which will cleanly compile accross
different platforms.

Charles Mott