Date:      01 Sep 1999 17:17:51 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Upgrade from 3.0-BETA to 3.2-STABLE: Pitfalls?

I support an ISP with is running on a couple 3.0-BETA
servers. Actually, it reports 3.0-CURRENT from October 1998.  When we
started, 3.0-RELEASE wasn't quite out and 2.2 didn't support the disk
controllers.

Now we finally want to get onto 3.2-STABLE. I've done "make worlds" on
plenty of systems and rebuilt kernels. Usually no problem.

Here I'm very concerned about elf vs. aout or library
incompatibilities.  There were also around that time some issues with
the boot sector (?) needing to be marked some special way but I've
forgotten.  The ISP is 8 time zones away so I can't fix it if the make
world and new kernel fail.

What problems can I expect? Suggestions for avoiding them?