Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2000 00:23:25 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Erich Zigler <erichz@superhero.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New Kernel

In message <20000822004551.A78949@superhero.org> Erich Zigler writes:
: I'm really unclear on the new kernel building system. I was walking a fellow
: System Administrator through configuring and compiling their kernel for the
: first time on a *BSD distribution. This was a fresh install of 4.1 so I had
: him install the sources from the CD he installed from. I then had him
: configure his kernel and try to compile it. Tons of errors. (Machine was not
: on the network so I was not able to get that information.) So now he is
: doing a make buildworld to hopefully fix the problems. I understand if you
: cvsup'ed your source tree to have to rebuild to update the kernel. But from
: a base installation?

From a base install, it should just work the same way it has forever.
Assuming that the sources are really 4.1-RELEASE.  My guess is that
the he may be hitting the problem that is generally overlooked with
config files, namely that they aren't too compatible between releases
and you have to do lots of tweaking when upgrading.  Or maybe he's
remove required parts of the kernel config that appear to be optional
but due to bugs they aren't.  W/o more information, it is hard to know
for sure.

Warner