Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 15:34:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Russell D. Murphy Jr." <rdmurphy@neale.econ.vt.edu>
To:        emulation@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   libncurses.so.4?

(If this is more properly a "questions" question/problem, let me know,
and I'll move it over there.)

Yesterday, I upgraded a statistics package that I have used quite
happily under FreeBSD for the last couple of years (stata -
http://www.stata.com).  Unfortunately, the latest version wants to use
libncurses.so.4.  I installed the ncurses port, but now get:

knock [rdmurphy]% stata
stata: error in loading shared libraries
/usr/local/lib/libncurses.so.4: undefined symbol: _DefaultRuneLocale

I still have the old version of stata, which works fine:

knock [rdmurphy]% ldd /usr/local/stata/stata.old
/usr/local/stata/stata.old:
        libncurses.so.3.0 => /usr/lib/libncurses.so.3.0
        libtermcap.so.2 => /lib/libtermcap.so.2
        libm.so.5 => /lib/libm.so.5
        libc.so.5 => /lib/libc.so.5

knock# mv stata stata.new
knock# mv stata.old stata

knock [rdmurphy]% stata

  ___  ____  ____  ____  ____ tm
 /__    /   ____/   /   ____/
___/   /   /___/   /   /___/    6.0   Copyright 1984-1999
  Statistics/Data Analysis            Stata Corporation
                                      702 University Drive East
                                      College Station, Texas 77840 USA
                                      800-STATA-PC        http://www.stata.com
                                      409-696-4600        stata@stata.com
                                      409-696-4601 (fax)

Single-user Stata for Linux perpetual license:
       Serial number:
         Licensed to:  Russell D. Murphy, Jr.
                       VPI Department of Economics

I'm running:

knock [rdmurphy]% uname -a
FreeBSD knock.econ.vt.edu 3.2-STABLE FreeBSD 3.2-STABLE #0:
  Tue May 25 18:56:27 EDT 1999
  root@knock.econ.vt.edu:/usr/src/sys/compile/KNOCK  i386

and the latest port of linux_lib:

knock [rdmurphy]% /usr/sbin/pkg_info -a -c | grep Information | grep linux_lib
Information for linux_lib-2.6.1:

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks-

Russ M.

-----
Russell D. Murphy
Department of Economics
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
3034 Pamplin Hall
Blacksburg, Virginia  24061-0316
(540) 231-4537
rdmurphy@vt.edu