Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 2000 08:15:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Frank Mayhar <frank@exit.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, Chris Costello <chris@calldei.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORGG
Subject:   Re: Fdescfs updates--coming to a devfs near you!

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> I must admit that I think in general that /dev/std{in,out,err} and /dev/fd
> is bogus.  It looks like something which happened "because we can" more
> than something which has a legitimate need.

I strongly disagree.  I actually have a script that I use daily which requires
a filename as an argument.  By handing it /dev/stdin, I can make it take
output as a part of a pipe.  A _very_ useful little feature, IMNSHO.

As far as fdescfs, well, Unixware has something very like it, and I believe
that other commercial Unices do as well.  I suspect that it's useful to
some, if not to all.

One thing about end users as opposed to engineers, they put this stuff to
uses that we can't even imagine.  Never underestimate the sheer ingenuity
of a relatively naive user.  :-)
--
Frank Mayhar frank@exit.com	http://www.exit.com/
Exit Consulting                 http://store.exit.com/