Date:      Sat, 1 Aug 1998 12:44:57 -0500
From:      "Jeff Rogers" <jlr@soltec.net>
To:        "GhostLV" <ross@lvcm.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing on other HD

installed on another HDD.  For the second, unused HDD, I had to go
in with fdisk and delete the logical partition with which I had set up the
unused HDD (1.3 GB West. Dig. Caviar) FIRST.  Once I'd done that,
FreeBSD recognized the disk, and I could choose to let it install its
boot manager on the FIRST hard drive.  Then, being very careful to
make sure during installation, that in the next step I deselected the first
hard drive and selected the previously unused hard drive, I could
choose to use all the hard drive and let Free BSD automatically
allocate and label it (slice it?) accordingly.  It went like a breeze.

The only thing is, I was told two different things about the boot
manager.  The book, <underline>The Complete FreeBSD</underline> by Greg Lehey, seemed
to indicate to *only* install it on the first hard drive, where win 9x
resides, etc.  and not on also the second.  A friend who is an avid user
of FreeBSD said, he didn't think that would work, to install it on both
hard drives.  I truly don't know.  I did install it on the second hard
drive.  It still works fine, and so far I really like it.

Btw, I would recommend Mr. Lehey's book.  It's been really helpful
for me.

Best of luck to you.

Jeff Rogers

jlr@soltec.net

<smaller>>Hi!I've had FreeBSD 2.2.2 for a while now ( a year ) and have been putting
off installing it. There may be an answer to this question somewhere
already, but I'm hoping I could get a quick answer from you and save my
self the time of browsing a few pages. My question is: I have 3 IDE drive
on my system. I'm currently running dual boot, Windows 98 and Windows
NT. I have a third 1 Gig IDE drive that I would like to dedicate to FREBSD.
Can I install FreeBSD on an IDE drive other than the Boot drive? It
seems like the options I'm given at the begining of install does not include