Date:      Wed, 10 Nov 1999 11:38:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@posi.net>
To:        Jon Nicoll <JKN@symbionics.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: porting Linux kernel module to FreeBSD

On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Jon Nicoll wrote:

> Hello There
> 	You may have heard that Creative Labs have put the source for the
> Linux driver for their SoundBlaster Live audio card under GPL
> (http://opensource.creative.com). This takes the form of a kernel module for
> Linux.
>
> I'm interested in doing (some of? ;-o) the work of porting this module to
> FreeBSD. I'm not very familiar with some of the issues involved in such a
> venture; could someone point me to a source of information on the issues
> that might be involved in doing this? I'm a reasonably experienced hacker
> but only moderately familiar with either FreeBSD(I have 3.1) or Linux(SuSE
> 6.2, as it happens).
>
> Pointers to FAQs or links very welcome - the FreeBSD site which discusses
> such things is more about making the distribution, and I'm not that far
> along yet...

  I wish you the best of luck with this. You might also want to mention
something on freebsd-current, though, since the sound drivers on -current
are different than on -stable (ie. you may be needing to upgrade to
-current to do your development if you want your work to be incorporated
into the source tree). I'm not 100% sure what the differences are (I only
read -current, run -stable :) ), but I'm sure someone there could probably
point you in the right direction.

  Nonetheless, when you do get something going on this, take a second an
mention your project on http://www.posi.net/freebsd/drivers/ so that
others interested might know that a) someone is already working on it and
b) offer any assistance you may need.

  Good luck,

  Kelly

--