Date:      Fri, 11 Nov 2005 10:46:47 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   gvinum/geom_vinum in 6.0?

Upgrade to RELENG_6 went pretty smoothly from RELENG_5 but for my
striped gvinum volume.

Mergemaster wanted to remove /etc/rc.d/vinum, so I copied it and allowed
the original to be removed. On reboot /dev/gvinum/vinum0 does not exist.

In 5.x "gvinum start" created /dev/gvinum/vimum0. Manually starting
gvinum fails to do anything to /dev/.

Observed /bin/vinum was left over from previous FreeBSD and complained
about lacking a vinum kernel module so I have removed it.

I have geom_vinum loaded:

# kldstat
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 1   17 0xc0400000 429f00   kernel
 2    1 0xc082a000 57c8     snd_ich.ko
 3    2 0xc0830000 1d408    sound.ko
 4    1 0xc084e000 10840    if_ath.ko
 5    2 0xc085f000 26b60    ath_hal.ko
 6    2 0xc0886000 2c7c     ath_rate.ko
 7    1 0xc0889000 59170    acpi.ko
 8    1 0xc38d1000 f000     geom_vinum.ko
 9    1 0xc3a8e000 2000     green_saver.ko
10    1 0xc3a9c000 15000    linux.ko
# gvinum list
0 drives:

1 volume:
V vinum0                State: up       Plexes:       0 Size:          0 B

1 plex:
P vinum0.p0           S State: up       Subdisks:     0 Size:          0 B

2 subdisks:
S vinum0.p0.s0          State: up       D: vinumdrive0  Size:        152 GB
S vinum0.p0.s1          State: up       D: vinumdrive1  Size:        152 GB
#

The above "gvinum list" looks correct to my ignorant eye altho shouldn't
it say something about /dev/ad[46]* where the stripes are located? It
must know something about them as AFAIK the data is stored no where
else.

So, how do I go about getting a [g]vinum device in /dev? And how does
one automate this on boot nowadays?

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@HiWAAY.net