Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 1999 14:54:30 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: missing files with NFSv3 and Solaris2.7 machine...

"David E. Cross" wrote:

> We have a number of solaris 2.78 machines (I am in the process of installing
> them now), and I notice that if I ls a directory that is mounted NFSv3/UDP from
> a FreeBSD server to a Solaris 2.7 client there are a number of files that
> show up missing.  This is most intreaging with a large untar as I can do
> 'ls | wc -l' in a directory and watch the numbers dance:

> Any ideas what isn't working correctly?

This looks like something that was discussed maybe a couple of
months ago. It turned out to be a bug in the Solaris implementation,
which is something some people did not accept because the Solaris
implementation is the reference implementation (yeah, I'll call all
my programs "reference implementation" from now on :). FreeBSD is
working according to NFS specs, but Solaris isn't.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"Thus, over the years my wife and I have physically diverged. While
I have zoomed toward a crusty middle-age, she has instead clung
doggedly to the sweet bloom of youth. Naturally I think this unfair.
Yet, if it was the other way around, I confess I wouldn't be happy
either."