Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 2002 13:12:36 +0000
From:      Dave Ryan <dave.ryan@eircom.net>
To:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pf OR ipf ?

Attila Nagy said the following on Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 01:20:40PM +0100,
> > pf currently runs only on OpenBSD. Jordan Hubbard has expressed
> > annoyance with the fact that there are now three filters (ipfw, ipf and
> > pf) so it seems unlikely that FreeBSD is going to port it.
> I'm sad to hear that. I think diversity is a good thing. With FreeBSD if
> you are paranoid you can set up your firewall rules in two packet filters,
> which has a different codebase. So if one fails, it is unlikely that the
> other will too.
> I think it is good to have more than one packet filter in the kernel :)

Sure its always a good thing to add more code to your kernel. I would focus on
bringing assurance to the existing code as opposed to porting in something
else to perform the same function.

> With PF some more features could be also ported, like the bridge support.
> And that would be a good thing also.

I fail to see the relevance in discussing PF on a FreeBSD mailing list, if you
have suggestions sign on to tech or misc.

What is so wrong with ipfw that there needs to be another packet filter
brought under FreeBSD? I'm glad I have the option of pf on OpenBSD now, but I
can't see a good reason to import it for the sake of yet another packet
filter.

I personally choose ipfw when running FreeBSD and I am very very happy
with pf under OpenBSD.