Date:      Sat, 12 Jun 2004 10:48:07 +0900
From:      Rob <stopspam@users.sourceforge.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New Question (add new users & groups)

LW Ellis wrote:
> The depth of my unix ignorance is showing...
> I kept getting a glitch, probably from my bad install attempt.

"New Question" is not a useful subject of your email.
Formulate your question in a few words as a subject.
That makes it easier for others to browse through the long list
of emails in the mailinglist and pick those that are of interest.

> I wiped my HD and re-installed FreeBSD with what I have learned.
> I have configured my xserver and it seems to be working ok.
> I read the the FreeBSD Handbook and found little about adding users or
> groups.
> 1) Do I add a group before a user?
> 2) Other than sysinstall to add a user, is there anything else I need to do
> to configure a regular (notsuperuser)
> (Keeping in mind to copy .xsession and .xinitrc to that user's dir.)

In this case, and in this stage of your experience, I would recommend to you
to use /stand/sysinstall.
In an xterminal, become root and do:

# cd /stand
# ./sysinstall

This will give you the configuration dialog, that you may remember from when
you did the installation. But this time you choose the option:
    "Configure   Do post-install configuration of FreeBSD"

In the next dialog, you get lots menu items. Some of them are a little dangerous
(e.g. disk management), but you also see here "User Management".
Go there and add a group and new user; this dialog explains itself, I suppose.

When finished, simply select "Cancel" and "X Exit Install" and you're done.

Would that work?

Rob.