Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 2002 09:16:03 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Alexander V Zubchenko <stalker@hermes-comp.zp.ua>
To:        Corey Snow <corey@snowpoint.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Bridging Firewall

Greetings!

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Corey Snow wrote:

> So I'm being a total masochist. I've never used FreeBSD before, and
> got it installed on a truly ancient 486 DX2/66 with 32 MB RAM
No You are not. My first FreeBSD box was 486DX2/80 with 8 MB RAM and it
was really fast. I even worked with X wthout _very_ annoying delays ;-)

> yesterday night. It seems to run well (a helluva lot faster than I
> thought it would on such ancient hardware) and I'm pleased so far.
> I'm reasonably certain it can handle what I want it to do, based on
> the research I've done. I was surprised at how little horsepower it
> takes to run a decent firewall.
If You are not using X, RDBMS or other processor/memory consuming
processes like this, real min to run at acceptable speed is 486DX40/8

> Goal: To add a second NIC to this beast (it has one currently) and
> turn it into a bridging firewall using ipfw and the bridging kernel
> options. I've never built a custom kernel before, so I'm diving in,
> waiting for the appropriate chapters to get spat out of the printer
> before going any further. :)
Yes, You need to recompile your kernel (this is well documented either in
previous answer or in handbook. And b sured to rem/del out any junkj from
there (there r a lot of junk in GENERIC kernel).

> Secondary Goal: To add support for my Panasonic CDROM drive, which is
> accessed through an old Creative Labs SoundBlaster. I don't care
> about sound support, and I haven't installed X (don't need it on a
> firewall box) so the only reason the card is in the machine is that
> it can't be driven by any other type of card (even though it has a 40-
> pin interface like an IDE drive- that was quite annoying).
Get a look at supported hardware list. It is in Handbook also. AFAIR,
Panasonic CD-ROM is supported, but this also depend on fbsd version (of
course ;))

> I think I'm pretty comfortable with the process as described, and
> worst-case is I have to blow my install away and start over (no big
> deal at this stage). However, there's one question I'm not certain
> about.
>
> If I want to add a second ISA Ethernet NIC (I have two GeniusLAN
> 10BaseT NICS that work as NE2000 NICS) do I have to run the MAKEDEV
> shell script before or after rebuilding the kernel, or does it
> matter? I assume it's after, from what I've read. Anyway, the plan is
> to back up my kernel, follow the directions on the web site and
> configure an new one, rebuild, then use MAKEDEV to add the second
> NIC. After that, assuming it all goes well, I guess I'll start
> playing with bridging and the firewall rules on a dummy network I
> have here.
No, You shouldn't to play with MAKEDEV, because NIC devices is virtual.
They r not present in /dev or any other place, excepting kernel mind ;)
Just rebuild kernel, check info on bootstage and ifconfig appropriate
device...

> Comments, suggestions, and/or belly laughs at my ignorance would be
> appreciated. :)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Corey Snow

Always at your service, Alexander