Date:      Sat, 20 Nov 1999 17:10:32 -0800
From:      Marc Wandschneider <MarcW@Lanfear.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   So, Um ... How does it work?  (Sound)

	(I know not, my liege!)

	So, following all the lovely instructions on the freebsd web
site, i've successfully built a kernel that recognizes the 8 year old
piece of junk SoundBlaster I just dumped in my FreeBSD box.  (It
couldn't find a MIDI interface at 0x388, but I don't have a manual, so
I'll just leave it :-)).

	Now, the question is:  How do I make it work under the various
environments?  I tried firing up a .wav player under KDE, but it
couldn't find it either.  It was looking for /dev/mixer.

	Do I have to create a new device?  is there some sinister step I
missed?

	Thanks.

	marc