Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 1999 10:59:34 +1000
From:      "Andrew Reilly" <a.reilly@lake.com.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Committers <cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG>, Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Subject:   Re: Mandatory locking?

Hi Greg, hackers list,

I don't want to express an opinion about the need or otherwise
for mandatory locking, but I would appreciate a teensy
clarification of the problem domain:

On Mon, Aug 23, 1999 at 05:43:45PM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
>   To write a block to a RAID-5 device, you need to:
>
>   1.  Read the old data into a temporary buffer.
>   2.  Read the old parity data corresponding to the data into a
>       temporary buffer.
>   3.  XOR the two, storing the result in one of the temporary buffers.
>   4.  XOR the result with the data which is to be written.
>   5.  Write the data block.
>   6.  Write the parity block.

Are you suggesting that random user processes have to do all of
this every time that they access a vinum drive?  I thought that
access was mediated by a driver or server process.  Isn't this
process in a position to ensure the integrity of the transaction
without any help from locking mechanisms?

If some major maintenance utility needs to run on the raw device,
during which time the state is inconsistent as far as user processes
are concerned, isn't it sufficient to remove their read priveliges?

Sorry if these are dumb questions.  I have had no experience at
file system or data-base applications, but I do want to learn as
much about them as I can.

--
Andrew