Date:      Sun, 9 Jul 2000 21:47:11 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jamie Jones <jamie@bishopston.net>
To:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, brett@lariat.org, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, davids@webmaster.com, dkelly@hiwaay.net, jamie@bishopston.net
Subject:   RE: No port of Opera? (Was: ((FreeBSD : Linux) :: (OS/2 : Windows)))

David Schwartz wrote:

> If the version under emulation were officially supported, why wouldn't you
> buy it? Is it purely for 'religious' reasons?

I tend to think of running programs under the emulation API as unsupported.
If it were officially supported, that would tip the scales a bit. I may be
wrong, but I would trust a native version more than an emulated version, and
would be much more likely to pay for something that installed "cleanly"
without me having to install a whole load of Linux libraries etc.

I prefer FreeBSD to Linux - that's why I'm here. I find it to be more stable,
and more coherent (although I'll admit that it's been a few years since I
played with Linux). I'd prefer not to install a Linux sub-system on my
FreeBSD machine for the reasons I chose FreeBSD in the first place.

I'd hope that there are no 'religious' reasons - if push came to shove I
would run Linux programs under emulation - but I'd only feel totally confident
if the program was native to my OS, especially if I'm forking out money for
it.

This isn't to knock the Linux emulation project - I have played with it, and
it is a very good package - I'd just prefer to run things as nature
intended :-)

Cheers,
         Jamie