Date:      Sat, 16 May 1998 12:48:55 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Peter van Heusden <pvh@leftside.wcape.school.za>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Suggested configuration of WWW server

Hi

I am planning to set up a FreeBSD machine to host a number of WWW servers.
The config will have to support about 10 different WWW sites (using
Apache), and though at present the incoming bandwidth is small (about 1/2
Mbit/second) this might well change in the future.

Specifically, I was wondering about the following questions:

1) What is the recommended SCSI controller? The machine will probably have
2 or 3 SCSI disks, and I want to select a controller that works well with
FreeBSD.

2) Does it make sense to buy a multi-processor machine? How well does
FreeBSD's SMP support work?

3) Are there any specific suggestions for network cards? I want to buy a
100Mbit ethernet card (in case I need to link together this server with
others in a server farm at a later date), so any recommendations will be
appreciated.

4) Which version of BSD should I use? I'm planning on using 2.2.6, but are
there any particular reasons I should consider using 3.0?

Thanks a lot for any info,
Peter
--
Peter van Heusden |    Computers Networks Reds Greens Justice Peace Beer Africa
pvh@leftside.wcape.school.za | Support the SAMWU 50 litres campaign!