Date:      Sun, 15 Dec 2002 01:58:57 -0500
From:      Kirk Bailey <idiot1@netzero.net>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, sendmail-questions <sendmail-questions@sendmail.org>
Subject:   permissions trouble

ok, I have an alias in /etc/mail, called aliases.tinylist; this is able to be
read by sendmail since I edited the sendmail.cf file, and it will compile it
without error.  the /mail dir is owned by root, and is chmod 755.

the file aliases.tinylist is owned by nobody currently, although in certain
tests it was owned by an unpriviliged user called grumpy, and it worked.

I could issue a echo statement from the command prompt as grumpy, appending to
the file, and it worked, regardless of what the current directory was.

But when I tried to do it as grumpy running a SCRIPT (in python) it refused
permission to write to the file. odd, grumpy could do it from the command
prompt...

This is some subtle permission thing, and it is escaping me. Anyone able to
shed light? I am so close to concluding my project it is driving me bats.
EVERYTHING ELSE WORKS...

.

--

end