Date:      	Mon, 18 Jan 1999 23:10:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alex Perel <veers@disturbed.net>
To:        "Oben O. Candemir" <dunya@one.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD IRC channels and ??quality??

On Tue, 19 Jan 1999, Oben O. Candemir wrote:

> ] *** Topic for #freebsd: <|Quasar|> *Katana* Beholder of the concrete
> ] dildo.
> ] *** #freebsd tog 916690716
> ] *** #FreeBSD 903634712

	<<SNIP>>

> I don't call "concrete dildos" (see topic above) "technical discussion"
> unless you particularly want one in one of your ports (computer or flesh
> variety).

	I think the overall point you are missing is that #freebsd on
EFNET is _NOT_ by any stretch a technical discussion channel. It is merely
a place where people who happen to run FreeBSD come to talk and unwind.
The problem arises when poeple such as yourself come there and whine about
'upholding the FreeBSD name' or somesuch.

	I repeat. #freebsd is NOT a place where the regulars come to help
others, or to seek help. This is the common misconception - you would not
believe the number of people who come there, treat the semi-helpful like
shit, and expect to be served with delight. Eventually those who ever had
the notion of being helpful become cynics and the newbie suffers. But
where on earth does it say that it is a help channel?

	I hope by now I've established that the people there (myself
included) are there purely for amusement. Can you blame anyone for
considering concrete dildos amusing?

	The other point you ever so carefully neglected is that people DO
occasionally get help there, if only for the sake of making them shut up.
In fact, quite a number of FreeBSD developers are there, for the exact
reason outlined above. Help that is given is a side effect of all this
talent concentrated in one forum. We are just not very welcoming of
umptillion people asking the same questions, a lot of which are along the
lines of 'how do I set up ppp' or 'how do I add a virtual console' or
something _well_documented_ like that.

	I repeat, #freebsd is not a techincial forum, or a help forum.
Never was, and never will be.

	Enough ranting, I hope I've been of service.

	And yes, I am a regular in #freebsd, and yes, I do speak of
concrete dildos. Feel free to take this up with me if you ever want to get
into a lengthly discussion of the extent of your confusion.

//                           Alex Perel                                \\
//               veers@disturbed.net -=- veers@gomad.com               \\
\\                         shotgun@feh.net                             //
\\   Disturbed Networks - Powered exclusively by FreeBSD               //
//   == The Power to Serve -=- http://www.freebsd.org/		       \\