Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 1998 19:07:30 +0200
From:      Marc van Kempen <marc@bowtie.nl>
To:        ben@rosengart.com
Cc:        Jamie Bowden <jamie@itribe.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.6 CD-ROM : Package dependencies up the creek ?

> On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Jamie Bowden wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Snob Art Genre wrote:
> >
> > > I don't understand why you think "newbies" can't install packages except
> > > in sysinstall.  Why not put a pointer to pkg_manage in the default
> > > /etc/motd, or something like that?  Pkg_manage even *looks* like
> > > sysinstall.
> >
> > I believe 2.1.0-R was the last release to ship with pkg_manage.  I seem to
> > recall Jordan ripping it out and issuing a famous rant on how much he
> > hates the entire package management/sysinstall system in it's current
> > incarnation.
>
> Ha!  I thought it was *new*, because I have it on my 3.0-current system
> but not my 2.2-stable system . . . but the 3.0 system was originally a
> 2.1.5 system, so pkg_manage must still be lying around from then.
>
> Sorry to introduce this pkg_manage red herring into the discussion . . .

I originally wrote pkg_manage, but have always been under the impression
that it had been replaced by something better (I never used the package
install option from sysinstall), perhaps I should have checked ;-).

But if anyone wants to build on pkg_manage, be my guest, I can even dig
up the sources if you want to.

Marc.

Marc van Kempen                 BowTie Technology
Email: marc@bowtie.nl            WWW & Databases
tel. +31 40 2 43 20 65
fax. +31 40 2 44 21 86         http://www.bowtie.nl