Date:      Mon, 6 May 1996 10:39:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "matthew c. mead" <mmead@Glock.COM>
To:        juphoff@tarsier.cv.nrao.edu (Jeff Uphoff)
Cc:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr, chat@freebsd.org, pmurphy@nrao.edu
Subject:   Re: [Forwarded e-mail from Alexander O. Yuriev]

Jeff Uphoff writes:

> "mcm" == matthew c mead <mmead@Glock.COM> writes:

> mcm> 	I think it was a comparison to Bill Gates... I seem to
> mcm> recall being forwarded that too... :-)

> There must be two then; I just found this one in one of my quotes files:

> "I think Linus is cuter than that stupid thing with the pitch-fork."
>
> I won't attribute the quote since I don't want to get that person into
> hot water too (he's one of the well-known Linux hackers).  :)~

	Hehe!  I think I might have been mistaken as I can't find
it in my folder containing correspondence with you.  Maybe you
just told it to me on the phone or something - it seems damn
familiar.

> mcm> 	Awwww, come on!  I had to!  The FreeBSD chat mailing list
> mcm> exists for such general chat and frivolous posting purposes!

> Sounds like the linux-kernel list sometimes; I've seen higher valid
> content ratios on IRC channels.

	Is it not moderated?

> mcm> 	I don't get that either.  I usually tell people I
> mcm> recommend FreeBSD because of certain things, but then tell them
> mcm> if there are certain other things they want to do or don't want
> mcm> to wait for, they should stick with Linux.  Most people end up
> mcm> installing what most of their friends have anyway, which, around
> mcm> here these days, tends to be Linux.  You gotta go with your
> mcm> strongest peer support network.

> 100% agreed.

> If someone is fairly new to UNIX, I usually recommend Linux to them
> since they'll normally have an easier time finding friends that can help
> them, and there are a *lot* of Linux books (though only a few really
> good ones) available at most decent bookstores now.  There's also Red
> Hat, which makes installation, admin., and upgrading a relative breeze.
> (When I recommend Linux I usually recommend Red Hat.)

> If they're already UNIX veterans, I'll normally recommend that they try
> both OS's and then stick with the one they like better.  (Personally, I
> tried 386BSD before trying Linux since I was already a SunOS user....)

	I ran linux for a couple months back when it was .96p8 -
back when you had to build your own distribution.  I got sick of
not having a true slip connection and switched to good old 386bsd
0.0.  I actually ran that for over a year before I switched back
to linux when its slip was fairly decent.  Once I finally got
sick of linux again, I switched to FreeBSD 1.1.5.1 and haven't
switched since... :-)

> One nice thing about the FreeBSD world is that it has one "distribution"
> so the confusion factor is often a great deal lower; there're no "which
> FreeBSD should I try?" type questions....

	IMHO, that's one of the most compelling reasons to use
FreeBSD.

> mcm> 	And I thought Pat was running up the mailq's.  Hehe.
> mcm> He's told me horror stories about yours.

> I've done `mailq | wc -l` before and seen numbers well into the tens of
> thousands before....  <groan>

	Anyone know offhand what the mailq on freefall looks
like?  :-)

-matt

--
Matthew C. Mead