Date:      Sat, 19 Aug 2000 10:08:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Steve Lewis <nepolon@systray.com>
To:        Duke Normandin <dnormandin1@juno.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Problem with FreeBSD behind a firewall

On Sat, 19 Aug 2000, Duke Normandin wrote:

> On Saturday, August 19, 2000 6:26 AM  Duke Normandin <01031149@3web.net> wrote:
> >
> >So this thread won't be wasted on me, I need to know what a "hardware
> >firewall" is, please. I can take a wild-ass  guess ;^), but I've *never won
> >any loteries either.  As well, the term "dual-homed" was used early in
> >the thread -- would you briefly explain that term as well, please. Tia....
>
> up. So "dual-homed" is a box with 2 NICs --- one public and one private.
>
> -duke

Essentially correct.  Technically, one doesn't have to be public and one
doesn't have to be private, but that is the way they most often appear.
Multi-homed would be the more generic term.

As for a "hardware firewall" aka "firewall appliance," this is just an
out-of-the-box device which works as a firewall.  It doesn't use 'PC
hardware' as such, so it will have more resemblance to a bridge (usualy
two network interfaces, a power jack, and sometimes a serial port).
Often they can be configured through a web interface which is only
available from the private interface.  I don't mean to imply it doesn't
run a FreeBSD kernel, most firewall appliances seem to be highly
specialized and modified *nix kernels stripped and mounted in a little
black box.

For an example, see http://www.lucidata.com/firewall.htm ...

BTW - you should laugh when you look at this example.

--Steve