Date:      Wed, 13 Oct 2010 01:31:34 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
Cc:        Marcin <nickson@interia.pl>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with security log

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 11:24:48AM +0300, Andriy Gapon wrote:
> on 13/10/2010 11:17 Jeremy Chadwick said the following:
> > The """workaround""" -- which again, does not solve the problem, only
> > decreases the regularity of it happening (and when it does happen, can
> > sometimes decrease how much interspersed output there is) -- is to add
> > the following line to your kernel config and rebuild/reinstall your
> > kernel:
> >
> > options		PRINTF_BUFR_SIZE=128	# Prevent printf output being interspersed.
>
> This option only affects printing to actual console (e.g. ttyv0).
> It changes nothing (zero, nada) for writing to msgbuf, and consequently for syslogd.

Ahhh, I see.  Yes you're right, and I'm incorrect (as usual).

I thought msgbuf and /dev/console were basically tied together (or maybe
I'm thinking of /dev/klog?), but from reviewing dmesg(8) I can see
that's obviously not the case (-a flag).

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc@parodius.com |